How to Make Sweet Lassi
Before you begin ensure that the whole milk curd (yogurt) is fresh and not gone sour. I always make lassi with homemade curd. After the curd is well set and done, I keep it in the refrigerator for a few hours so that it gets cold.
1. First, in a mortar, take 8 to 10 green cardamom pods and crush them lightly. Then remove the husk and crush the seeds.
You can skip these first two steps if using pre-made ground cardamom. Add about 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom to yogurt while blending.
2. Now crush the seeds to a fine powder.
Whisk Curd or Yogurt
3. Then in a bowl or pan, take 2 cups fresh chilled yogurt or homemade curd.
4. Next, with a handheld wooden churner (called madani in Hindi) or an immersion blender or a wired whisk, whip the curd until it becomes smooth.
5. The curd should be smooth before you add other ingredients to it.
Sweeten the Curd
6. Now add 4 to 5 tablespoons sugar or as needed.
7. Pour 1 cup cold water or cold milk if you prefer. For a thicker lassi, add ½ cup of water or milk or do not add any liquids. For a thinner consistency, add 1.5 cups water or milk.
8. Now begin to churn or blend the lassi mixture with the wooden churner or immersion blender or wired whisk
Continue to Churn Lassi
9. Keep on churning, blending or whisking until the sugar dissolves and you see a nice frothy layer on top.
Apart from using using a wired whisk or an immersion blender, another method is to add the lassi ingredients in a blender. Then blend until smooth and frothy.
10. In the below photo you can see a good frothy layer on top.
11. Now add 1 teaspoon of the crushed cardamom powder and 10 to 12 crushed saffron strands.
12. Mix well. Do a taste test and add more sugar if needed.
Serve and Enjoy
13. Pour lassi in tall glasses and serve. You can add ice cubes to your lassi if you prefer. Garnish with a pinch or two of ground cardamom powder, 2 to 3 crushed saffron strands or chopped nuts. Serve this sweet lassi recipe straightaway.
Some people store it in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days. If you plan to keep it in the refrigerator then do not add ice cubes.