HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN 65 STEP BY STEP
- 300 gm chicken breast, cleaned and cut into small cubes (boneless)
- 1/4 cup thick plain yogurt (or 1/2 cup buttermilk)
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp rice flour or corn flour (corn starch)
- A fistful of curry leaves
- 2–3 cups of oil, for frying
- 1 tsp vinegar (optional)
1. Mix 1/4 cup yogurt with all 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp pepper powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp corn flour or rice flour, 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste, and some salt. Add 1 tsp vinegar only if your yogurt is not sour. Add the chicken pieces to this and mix well.
Refrigerate this mixture for about 2 hours to let the marinade work its magic on the chicken pieces. You can even leave it overnight if you want to prep it ahead.
2. When you are ready to fry, heat the oil in a kadai or pan. The amount of oil should be enough to almost cover the pieces so the quantity required will depend on your pan.
Gently add the marinated chicken pieces one by one without overlapping and fry on a medium-low flame until golden brown, turning every once in a while. The outside should turn a dark golden brown otherwise the meat won’t be cooked through.
3. The chicken pieces will shrink a bit on frying as the moisture leaves the meat. The sizzling of the oil will also die down almost completely. Do a quick taste test and remove from the oil. Drain on paper towels as you fry the next batch. Add the curry leaves when you are frying up the last batch and let it turn crisp.
4. Drain and add to the fried pieces of chicken. Give everything a quick stir and serve hot.
Hot and spicy Chicken 65 recipe is ready! Serve with lemon wedges and sliced red onions.